Once upon a time a missionary family made a well thought out plan. Enter Covid. In the midst of ever changing plans, we remain thankful that God is in control.
Our two month visit for the holidays had an unexpected encounter with Covid which has forced us to delay for the time being. Uncertainty looms on when we can return to Kenya, but we remain hopeful that we’ll get the needed negative Covid tests in due time. Meanwhile, enjoy a brief family update.
Andrew: After losing his job to Covid last year, he’s now working full time at Little Wolf Auto in our hometown, living with grandparents. If you ever need an oil change, look him up! If he’s not there, he’s probably helping out at church as a youth leader midweek or doing sound on Sunday mornings.
Benji: In his 3rd year at Concordia University Wisconsin, he is studying Exercise Physiology. He referees for Intramural sports as a workstudy job, is captain of the Ultimate Frisbee team, and tries to work in his studies around his social life. He did virtual classes (staying with us!) after Thanksgiving, but is back on campus full time now.
Michael: Northcentral Technical College in Wausau has been a great fit for him. In his last semester, he starts an internship at Merrill Tool and Water Jet in February, putting his Mechanical Design Engineering Technology studies to work in the real world. He graduates with an Associates degree in May and hopes to find an apartment and full time job in the area.
Matthew: He has so loved having his brothers around! He continues to amaze us with his flexibility and good attitude with all the changes. He’s back into his homeschool studies, although some of his books are in Kenya and mom has had to improvise a bit (he’s not complaining!). At 13, he’s enjoyed the snow, ice and cold much more than his parents have.
Phil is renewing his Inspection Authorization certificate (required to sign off on airplane repairs). EJ continues to serve remotelyvon the Crisis Management Team for our Kenyan mission team. We’ll keep trying to get back to Nairobi even as travel requirements change quickly and get harder to meet. Despite the delay, we have much to be thankful for and we rejoice in the many ways God has provided. Pray that we can rest in His timing, recover from all aspects of Covid, and join our team back in Kenya soon.